Portsmouth still dreaming of Europe

Portsmouth s administrator has not given up hope of the cash-strapped club playing European football next season after they upset the odds to reach the FA Cup Final.

The south coast side, who have debts of over 76 million pounds (115 million dollars), beat Tottenham 2-0 after extra-time in Sunday s FA Cup semi-final just a day after they were relegated from the Premier League.

Their appearance in the FA Cup Final, against double-chasing Chelsea at Wembley on May 15, would, in normal circumstances, guarantee a place in next season s Europa League.

However, they ve yet to apply for a club licence issued by European football governing body UEFA which bottom of the Premier League Portsmouth, who were effectively relegated when they were docked nine points for enteri…

Klopp understands Sturridge fuss

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he finally understood the hype around Daniel Sturridge after his side s 6-1 thrashing of Southampton.

Sturridge made his first start since October and scored a first-half brace before being substituted around the hour-mark in the League Cup quarter-final at St Mary s on Wednesday.

Divock Origi struck a hat-trick and Jordon Ibe was also on the scoresheet in the comprehensive win.

Klopp said he could finally see what all the fuss was about when it came to Sturridge, riddled by injuries but having shown his quality with 21 Premier League goals in 2013-14.

I said to him after the game, Now I know what everyone is talking about,’ the German said.

I knew about his quality, but I never saw it live in a stadium, in an…

Cerci return praised by Atleti assistant Burgos

Assistant coach German Burgos was pleased to see Alessio Cerci warmly welcomed back into the Atletico Madrid fold as his team-mates enjoyed a comfortable Copa del Rey win over Guijuelo.

Cerci was introduced as a second-half substitute with Diego Simeone s men 4-0 up and 10-0 to the good on aggregate against their third-tier opponents, who would gain a measure of consolation through Antonio Pino s late header.

The Italy winger last featured for Atletico in December 2014 having failed to make a single LaLiga start on the back of joining from Torino earlier that year.

Subsequent loan spells at Milan and Genoa followed by a knee injury ruining the first half of this season have cast him as the forgotten man, but his every touch was cheered at the Vicente Calderon on …

Martial could miss rest of season, says Man Utd boss Solskjaer

Anthony Martial could miss the rest of the season with a knee injury, Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed. 

The forward suffered a knee injury in France s World Cup qualifying win over Kazakhstan last weekend.

Should he miss the rest of United s 2020-21 campaign, it seems unlikely he would return to full fitness in time for the rescheduled Euro 2020, which kicks off on June 11. 

Speaking ahead of United s Premier League clash with Brighton and Hove Albion at Old Trafford on Sunday, Solskjaer said: Unfortunately, he sprained his knee with France.

It s always when they go away on internationals… you can keep your fingers crossed and hope they come back fit.

Losing Anthony for what might be the rest of the season is v…

Inter reach agreement with Real over Hakimi transfer

The future of Achraf Hakimi, currently at Borussia Dortmund on loan from Real Madrid, seemed very unclear throughout the season. Dortmund made no secret of their desire to retain his services either permanently or on another loan, while plenty of reports suggested Real wanted him back to challenge Dani Carvajal for a place in Zinedine Zidane s team.

But amid all the speculations, Inter appear to have forced their way into the reckoning and have agreed a deal with Real, after the Spanish giants accepted their bid of €40 million plus add-ons. Reports of several outlets, including Marca and Fabrizio Romano who works for both Sky in Italy and the Guardian, match on this claim.

Romano goes one step further and says the 21-year-old right-back has made his decision to accept…

Twente win Dutch championship

(GSM) FC Twente have won their first ever Dutch championship. At NAC, a 0-2 win was more than enough to keep second-placed Ajax at bay.

Steve McClaren s side began the match with a one-point advantage over Ajax, meaning that they would not have to depend on results in other matches if they won their own.

Twente dominated from the start at Breda s Rat Verlegh stadium, even more when NAC had Csaba Feher sent off with a red card after just 21 minutes.

Two minutes later, Costa Rican forward Bryan Ruiz put Twente in the lead after poor defense from Snoyl.

NAC pushed forward a little more after half time but failed to create any major chances. Instead, Miroslav Stoch doubled Twente s lead in the 73rd minute as his effort from the left of the penalty area saile…

Mourinho already planning Real challenge

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho, lined up as the future Real Madrid boss, is already planning the set-up at the Spanish giants next season, telling sports daily AS Thursday he wanted to recruit three or four defenders.

Mourinho revealed that he had already decided to become coach of Real Madrid before the Champions League final which his club won at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium last Saturday.

Asked how he planned to bolster Real, the 47-year-old former Chelsea and Porto manager said he wanted to bring in three or four defensive players, but who improve our attack .

He refused to be drawn on the possible transfer of attacking Brazilian full-back Maicon from Inter, but judged a move by Argentina striker Diego Milito, the scorer of both goals in the final against …

Klopp tight-lipped on Can´s Liverpool future

Jurgen Klopp refused to be drawn on whether Liverpool want to renew Emre Can s contract and suggested that a recurring calf injury is the reason for his patchy form.

The 23-year-old has been a regular for the club since joining at the start of the 2014-15 season, but he is now into the final 18 months of his contract.

Can has struggled to impress this term, with Klopp revealing that a persistent calf injury is what has been holding him back.

But Klopp was not eager to publicly assure the player of a new deal, insisting Can knows what he has to do.

I speak to the players, not the press, he told reporters.

If I say yes [to wanting to extend Can s contract] it puts pressure on the club to do it immediately. If I say no the player thinks I do not w…

Moses joins West Ham on loan

Victor Moses has signed a new contract at Chelsea and joined West Ham on a season-long loan deal.

The winger spent last season at Stoke City, scoring three goals in 19 Premier League appearances, and will feature at Upton Park this term, having also agreed a new four-year deal with his parent club.

Moses arrived at Chelsea from Wigan Athletic in 2012 but failed to command a first-team berth at Stamford Bridge.

Prior to his stint at Stoke, the 24-year-old had a season on loan at Liverpool although he found his opportunities limited thanks to the form of Raheem Sterling.

Moses becomes West Ham s second acquisition of transfer deadline day following the signing of Alex Song, also on loan.

BREAKING NEWS: Juventus sack Sarri following Champions League exit

Juventus have confirmed Maurizio Sarri has been sacked following the club s failure to progress beyond the last 16 of the Champions League.

The decision to dispense with Sarri was taken in the aftermath of the club s surprising elimination to Lyon, Juve going out on away goals despite a 2-1 second-leg victory in Turin on Friday.

Failure to progress in Europe has led to the former Napoli and Chelsea boss losing his job after a solitary season in charge, despite winning the Serie A title.

Juventus Football Club announces that Maurizio Sarri has been relieved of his post as coach of the first team, read a short statement from the club.

The club would like to thank the coach for having written a new page in Juventus history with the victory of the nint…